Abel Visiting Scholar Program is a unique program for the scholars of the developing world to visit an international research collaborator for the period of one month on a fully funded basis. This fully funded research program invites the talented and the brightest minds to enhance their research capabilities while working with international mentors and with highly recognized researchers of the world. This one-month research experience enables scholars from developing countries to think out of the box and use different techniques to come up with miraculous research outcomes.
Abel Visiting Scholarship Program for international scholars is funded by Abel Prize in mathematics and is administered by the Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union. Through this fully funded program scholars are given the opportunity to continue their post-doctoral research in an international arena three times a year because usually, three grants are available for up to a year. The competent scholars through this Abel Prize Scholars program can apply three different times in the same year and can get the opportunity to get this fully funded opportunity for one month.
The research scholarship program is designed for post-doctoral mathematicians who are in the early stages of their professional careers. The program is intended to provide the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical’. This research sabbatical is a paramount complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians who also desire to sustain a viable research program. The opportunity is one of the most awaited and prestigious opportunities for scholars as there are very few fully funded opportunities for mathematicians due to the lack of funding in this field.
Commission for Developing Countries with the collaboration of the International Mathematical Union is committed to bridging the financial funding gap that the scholars of Mathematics feel in the research field. CDC believes that the developing world is enriched with valuable resources in the field of Mathematics that need to be tapped. In order to pursue the mission, an annual grant is given in the name of scholarships for mathematicians so that mathematicians can do research abroad for free. Through this fully funded research program for Post-Doc, the mathematicians of the world will also make an international network that is almost impossible otherwise. Thus this perfect and outstanding international opportunity is not meant to be missed at all.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24:
- Abel Prize
- The Commission for Developing Countries of the International Mathematical Union
Benefits of the Abel Visiting Scholar Program:
- An economy class return ticket will be provided.
- All the local transport costs from home to the airport and from the airport to the research site will be reimbursed after providing the receipts.
- The Visa fee will be covered.
- The fellow’s health insurance will be covered.
- A monthly stipend will be given to cover the living cost in the host country. The stipend will vary from country to country or place to place according to the current living cost rate.
- All the fellow mathematicians will be given free accommodation for the period of one month.
- All the above-mentioned payments will be given in two installments which are 50% before departure and the remaining 50% after the visit.
Eligibility Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24:
- The candidate must be based in a developing country at the time of application.
- The candidate must be a PHD at the time of application submission.
- The candidate must be a position holder in a university or in a research institution.
- The candidates must not be full-time professionals; however, they must be working on a contract in any university or college.
- The candidates must be early professionals and not more than 35 years of age at the deadline date for application.
- The candidates can have up to 3 years of age relaxation if they have a broken career pattern. However, the candidates must be able to provide proof of a broken career.
- The applicant must already have initiated research contact with the proposed international research partners.
- Women mathematicians are highly encouraged to apply.
Check Harvard Radcliff
How to Apply for the Abel Visiting Scholar Program 2023-24?
- Each candidate has to submit the application via the online application portal.
- The candidates have to explain their research proposals in their application.
- The candidates are asked to provide a list of the researchers with whom they want to collaborate.
- The candidates have to provide a statement about the current employment status or position in the home institution which must be signed and stamped by the employer. The statement must be in the required format. The template for the statement is given.
- The candidates have to fill out a tentative budget form.
- The candidates have to merge all required documents into a single PDF file to be uploaded onto the Online Application Form.
Documents Required for CDC Scholarship 2023-24:
- An updated CV.
- Research statement for visit.
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner.
- Letter of recommendation from the international research partner or a statement from the host approving the research plan.
- A scanned copy of the PhD certificate.
- A signed and a stamped statement from the current employer.
- Budget estimation for the research program.
Abel Visiting Scholar Program Application Deadlines:
- August 31, 2022, for visits between January 1 and April 30, 2023
- December 31, 2022, for visits between May 1 and August 31, 2023
- April 30, 2023, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2023